I’ve long been drawn to understanding and harmonizing diverse perspectives and philosophies since I can remember, having been raised as a bicultural daughter of a Mexican mother and a Kentucky-born father. Immersing myself in the study of ethics and the psychology of health allowed me to translate my values of alleviating suffering and individual agency (even under adverse conditions) into my profession.
As a practitioner, I integrate science, compassion, and the client’s own instinctual wisdom and personal choices into treatment. My pursuit of continual learning inspired me to move around the country, studying at the University of Washington (BS), University of California (PhD), the National Center for PTSD in Boston and more recently with the Mayo Clinic to more fully integrate the physical and psychological domains of health. I engage collaboratively with a range of medical disciplines to build more cohesive treatment plans. In our work together, we may use a range of evidence-based trauma treatments (PE, CPT, DBT, EMDR, IFS) and Health Psychology approaches (ACT, Motivational Interviewing, Gut-Directed Hypnotherapy). You can learn more about my background and training here.
I am also committed to increasing access to quality healthcare, offer services in Spanish, and have sliding fee options. In addition to providing therapy for over 15 years, I teach at the University of Utah and provide expert consultation services to approach life’s difficult decisional crossroads and moral dilemmas with greater clarity and skill.
Areas of specialization
- The impact of chronic trauma and stress exposure on the body
- Perfectionism and over-control
- Moving through grief and loss
- Managing chronic illness and pain
- Coping with Life Transitions (e.g. Medical Illness, Divorce)
- Complex and intense work demands
- Health behavior change (e.g., insomnia, exercise, eating and weight concerns)
Types of Treatment
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia
- Cognitive Processing Therapy for PTSD
- Exposure Therapy
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (I & II)
- Motivational Interviewing
- Internal Family Systems
- Health and Wellness Coaching
- Radically Open Dialectical Behavior Therapy